Thursday, January 15, 2009

6 Degrees of Mental Separation

The high temperature today seems to be 10. That's 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Whitney, Katie, Matt -- shut up. Also, the low tonight will be 1. That's the kind of thing they tell you when they don't want you to know the truth. If we think it's 1 degree, maybe we'll be fooled into being grateful for just how warm that really is. 1. Just 1.

It's been pretty cold around here for a couple weeks, and that mostly corresponds with the kids being back in school. So, I'm starting to get a little tweaky. It's so cold, I don't want to open the curtains because I'm convinced that when I open the curtains Dick Cheney comes and sucks the heat right out of my house via the windows. Really, with his big sucker-fish mouth and everything. It's very disturbing.

So, no open curtains means no sunshine, means these walls they are a closin' in. Also, we turned off the cable. So, I go to the gym every day now. The gym has big windows with no curtains. The gym has CSI right there on my own little personal tv mounted to the machine. *Sigh* I love the gym.

Also, say hello to Fannie:

Fannie used to be named Archimedes, until I decided that she is a she, and she most likely has little squirrely babies up in that big nest in the tree in the driveway. Fannie had a habit of getting into the shed and eating bird food. That was pretty okay with us, until she started searching our stuff to pilfer it. So, I had to move the bag of seed into the house. I felt bad about it (I mean, she does have those squirrely babies to feed, and did I mention it's going to be 1 degree tonight?), so I made her a feeder out of a toilet paper tube, peanut butter, and bird seed. This photo was taken about 10 minutes after I hung it out. About 10 minutes after the photo was taken, the entire feeder was gone. Squirrelled away up the tree to those sweet squirrely babies.

Also, this all happened while the guy was here last week turning off the cable. That guy may have overheard a conversation between myself and Fannie. I may have had to explain that there was a squirrell, right there on that branch, looking at me, and that I needed to explain some things to her.

(Ps. I just read the above and it appears that I think that eating will keep Fannie warm. I might have a screwed up relationship with food)

2 comments:

  1. I loved that post! And just let us know when the 1 degree days get the best of you. We have a futon, a couch, and plenty of sunshine to go 'round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I was so excited to find you on facebook.

    ReplyDelete