Sunday, June 30, 2013

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training: Getting my butt kicked to kick cancer's butt

When I think of Leukemia, I think of the children who lose their childhoods to this awful disease. When I think of Lymphoma, I think of my Grandfather who battled cancer for a decade.

The Team in Training experience will be admittedly difficult for me. I'm not a strong runner, and I'm certainly not a morning person. To do this, I'll have to become both. For the next four months, I'll go to bed early (no small feat for a night owl), and drag my sorry self out of bed early (no small feat for a decidedly NOT morning person). I will run a minimum of three miles each morning, except Wednesdays and Saturdays when I will train long distances with my Team. The goal is to raise $1000 and run my first half-marathon, 13.1 miles, in November.

One thing I won't have to change in this process is that I am an advocate for important causes. Finding a cure so that no child loses their childhood to these illnesses is certainly an important cause. Thank you for your support as I embark on what I expect will be a life-changing experience.


Tonight, I'm turning in at the same time my kid goes to bed so I can get up early and get running. It's the first step in working to find a cure so more kids can have more smiles and more days at the beach. So more kids can have the kind of carefree childhood we try to give our son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment