Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Decision Making

Okay internet, I might need you to weigh in on this one. I am considering applying for a full-time job. Realistically, I don't have much chance of getting it. I have the minimum requirements and not much else. But it's a great job. I'd love to have it.

The problem is, I don't know that my clan is ready for me to work full-time, outside the home. I really believe that a lot of the reason that Ezra is so well adjusted and intelligent is that I've been able to stay home with him and foster his interests. Of course, the same week that I am getting my resume in order, he got sick and has been home the last two days, which brings up a host of other issues to address, like childcare.

So, the problem lays out like this: Is it worth what I view as a major sacrifice on the part of my husband and child for me to go work full time at a totally freaking badass job? I admit that I am bored in my current situation. But, Ezra will only be little for a little while longer, and I have like, 40 more years to work.

*sigh* Tough decision. I should also note: If I go for it, and they do offer me the job, I will almost certainly take it. It's a matter of do I toss my hat in the ring, knowing that I will take it if offered?


  1. From experience, my husband and son are happier when I am going after my dreams.

  2. Toss your hat in the ring and make a more informed decision if you're offered the job. Perhaps they'd let you work flex time or have other family-friendly work options. Always open the door when opportunity knocks... even if you don't decide to walk through.

  3. I think you should apply. Even though you say you will definitely take it if they offer nothing's really decided yet. If you apply and they offer you'll have the chance to ask about flexible hours and other accommodations they'll make for work-life balance. You may be able to have your cake and eat it too.