Friday, July 5, 2013

TNT 3 & 4 &5: This is not the run you're looking for



Day 3: *Sigh* I promised myself that I will be open and honest about the running. That's not entirely easy, because it's not entirely lovely and good. Day 3 (Wednesday) I did not do my morning run. There were... circumstances... that made me want to stay in bed... and I had to get working extra early on a pressing project... so 5:30 a.m. and I didn't talk on Day 3. Because Tuesday cocktails make a girl need some sleep. 

I didn't make it up in the evening either. Boo hiss, Nicole. 

All is not lost. Friday is supposed to be a rest day because Saturdays will be long runs. But this Saturday is a 3 miler, so I'm going to make up Wednesday's run on Friday, since I don't need to rest ahead of Saturday. 
But I can't make a habit of it. There, I said it out loud, now it's a rule. 

Onto Day 4, which happens to be Fourth of July, which happens to have the crummiest, wettest weather of any Independence Day ever. Because we had nowhere to be (nice!!), Hubs pointed out last night that I didn't have to get up at 5:30 to run. Yay! Only I bet tomorrow will be harder because of it. Building healthy habits and all that. 
It has rained all day. It was raining when I got up and I stood at the front door, sipping coffee, contemplating my options. I couldn't skip again. I could go to the gym nearby and use a treadmill. I hate treadmills. I could drive to a gym further away and run on the indoor track. Too boring. I could run in the rain. 
I hear real runners do it all the time. I hear real runners often really enjoy running in the rain. 

I imagined the reality of the experience would be something like this: 


In reality, it was like this: 


I had my longest, strongest, best run I've had in a long time! Running in light drizzle in summer is pretty great! 

And on my way home, a neighbor friend who is a serious, for-real runner texted me. It read "Just saw you out in the rain! You know that makes you a real runner :)!!"
GRIN :D

Day 5: Short run due to time constraints. Meaning: I overslept because some asshats set off fireworks until 12:30 a.m. It was a hard run, 2.1 miles in 24 minutes. Some walking, but much longer running stretches. It was such a hard run that I actually let out a growl when I finished. yeah. Oh, and my shins are killing me today. Big icepacks for the win. Tomorrow I meet some of my TEAM! Hoping my shins don't hurt then!


No comments:

Post a Comment